Our Historic Synagogue
The first synagogue was built in 1803 and burned down in 1804. The partially rebuilt synagogue burned down again in 1806. The current property was purchased in 1813 and a building on that property was used for 10 years. In 1823, that building was dismantled and a larger building was erected in the same location on Synagogue Hill.
In 1831, another fire destroyed the third synagogue; however the Torah scrolls and Ner Tamid (Eternal Light) were saved from the fire. The present building was dedicated in 1833.
The building was restored in 2000, and still has original elements from its construction. The pews were fashioned by shipbuilders from local mahogany. The Ark is crowned with the stone tablets that are the cornerstone of our faith and our legal system. The domed ceiling soars above sand bloors and Baccarat crystal candelabra. It is one of only three National Historic Landmarks on St. Thomas.
Today, we are the oldest synagogue in continuous use under the American flag and the second oldest synagogue in the western hemisphere.